Six NPOs in USVI will benefit from grants totaling $50,000 provided by CFVI & Liberty Foundation
Updated: Mar 1
The Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands (CFVI) has awarded $50,000 in grants to six USVI nonprofit organizations with funding from the Liberty Foundation. The funding supports operational needs and projects that provide direct services and opportunities within Liberty Foundation's focus areas of education, social well-being and health, culture, and environmental protection.
Liberty Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Liberty Communications, which serves mobile and broadband customers in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
"We are truly grateful to Liberty Foundation and Liberty Communications for their commitment to being a part of the communities they serve," said CFVI President, Dee Baecher-Brown. “We are so appreciative of their generous donations that support the work of USVI nonprofits and the opportunity for CFVI to serve as a trusted partner for Liberty's community benefit efforts here in the Virgin Islands."
The following organizations/programs have been selected to receive grant support:
YWCA USVI, Inc. - $10,000
Funding will support the following Y-TEENS VI, Inc. territory-wide programs:
· Girls Do TECH - engineering and coding series
· Youth Thrive: Building Resilience Against Anxiety, Depression and Social Isolation - half-day workshop and a series of learning circles
· Youth Get Fit Day - a full day of activities focused on youth health and wellbeing
· Youth Confidence Builders Speakers Club: Finding My Voice - a 12-session series over a six-month period that will include training, observational learning and individual practice in the art of public speaking and effective presentation skills.
My SISTAHS Keeper, Inc. - $10,000
· Scholars With Ambitions and Goals (SWAG) after school and summer academy
· Funding will be used for virtual and distance learning classroom sessions, in-person educational and cultural field trips, workshops, individual counseling sessions, career counseling sessions and career exploration activities in St. Croix.
St. Thomas Historical Trust - $10,000
· Basket Weaving for Beginners: The Art of Making the VI Basket
· Funding will be used to host two separate three-month workshops in St. Thomas where participants will learn the skills needed to produce a market basket reminiscent of those handmade decades ago to preserve a local craft and encourage younger generations to revive and carry on the tradition.
Entre El Pueblo, Inc. - $9,000
Funding will be used to increase organizational capabilities and allow the organization to purchase much-needed equipment and supplies to start future initiatives, such as an English Basics program, that serve the Spanish-speaking population of St. Croix.
Friends of Virgin Islands National Park - $7,000
Training the Next Generation of Culture Bearers in the Art & History of Moko Jumbie
Funding will be used to enhance the ongoing and growing program on St. John and to provide support for opportunities to perform.
Virgin Islands Trail Alliance - $4,000
Preserving Nature, Heritage, Health and Adventure on Windsor Farm Trails
Funding will be used to expand the botanical signage and park features for public trails in a natural forest with communal spaces that preserve history, culture and ecology and promote stewardship in St. Croix.
“We are thrilled to continue expanding our community reach in the US Virgin Islands," said Yadira Valdivia, Executive Director of the Liberty Foundation. At Liberty we prioritize our communities, as well as our customers and employees. We entered the market about a year and a half ago and immediately became part of the philanthropic community. We are grateful for the consumers’ trust and look forward to continuing giving back. CFVI has been a responsible partner with whom we share a commitment to support education, environment protection, well-being, and the arts, among others.”
About the Community Foundation of the Virgin Islands
Since 1990, CFVI has been a catalyst for positive change in the Territory through initiatives committed to youth, learning, family support and the environment. With a professional staff and a volunteer Board of Directors composed of community leaders, CFVI is a trusted advocate and supporter of programs that ensure opportunity and sustainability for current and future generations. CFVI is a registered non-profit organization entirely supported by individual donors, grants, trusts, corporate donations and estate planning. For more information, visit cfvi.net.
About the Liberty Foundation
The Liberty Foundation is a nonprofit organization registered in Puerto Rico and the United States that serves as Liberty Puerto Rico’s corporate social responsibility arm. Established in July 2017, the Foundation provides funds to non-profit organizations that offer social, educational, cultural, and environmental services throughout Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The Liberty Foundation also establishes alliances with non-profit entities to sponsor and participate in activities and initiatives to raise funds, awareness, and encourage employees to do volunteer work to further advance their causes. For more information on the Liberty Foundation, please visit https://www.libertyfoundationpr.org/about.html